Serve these delicious chicken schnitzels with hot buttery pasta and steamed broccolini for a complete meal.
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 chicken breasts fillets, trimmed
1/3 cup plain flour
2 cups fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs (see note)
1 lemon, rind finely grated
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup sage leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
extra-light olive oil, for frying
250g dried egg tagliatelle pasta
steamed broccolini and lemon wedges, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 130°C. Place chicken between 2 sheets plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until 4mm thick.
2. Combine flour and salt and pepper on a large plate. Lightly whisk eggs in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, lemon rind, parsley and sage in a separate shallow dish.
3. Lightly coat chicken in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg then coat in breadcrumb mixture, pressing crumbs on with fingertips to secure.
4. Place 1 tablespoon butter in a large frying pan. Pour oil into pan until 1cm deep. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Cook schnitzels, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Place on a baking tray in oven to keep warm while cooking remaining schnitzels.
5. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain and return to saucepan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat. Serve schnitzel with pasta, broccolini and lemon wedges.
To make 2 cups fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs, place 4 slices wholemeal bread (crusts removed) in a food processor. Process to fine crumbs.
Blog via Taste - pop over for more delicious ideas...